Pop Antique is looking to take on an assistant! The necessary commitment is roughly one day per week, probably Wednesdays beginning in late May. Must be in or willing to travel to San Francisco. Compensation TBD based on experience and duties.
Pop Antique is at this phase a one-woman (+two-cat) entity. All design, drafting, sewing, site maintenance, illustration, and so forth, are currently done by me, Marianne Faulkner.
Ideally, my assistant would:
- help prioritize the workload for the day, ensuring a production schedule is maintained and improving the level of customer service offered to Pop Antique clients.
- aid with client correspondence, e.g. invoicing, updates on order status
- cut out client orders, samples, and mockups. For this, it is essential that they be highly accurate with a rotary cutter and possess a keen eye for grainline.
- maintain tidiness and organization of the studio area, including occasional large-scale reorganization or inventory projects.
- serve as a second pair of eyes to bounce ideas off of, and
- eventually, perhaps actually stitch some client orders (again, accuracy is key).
I would probably only need someone one day a week for this purpose. In exchange for this assistance, as well as the agreed upon compensation, I am happy to mentor in corsetmaking, teaching various construction techniques from keystones like setting a busk to the type of drafting and fitting specific to corsetry and the many seam types that can be used to different advantage based on the scope of a project. As my assistant's skills and duties grow, naturally we would also continually revisit the pay rate.
In terms of temperament, of course, personality is key. Like many corsetieres, I am a natural introvert, and so I don't do well with personalities that are too high-energy. I appreciate a nature that is forthright, takes direction well but can also self-manage, has a sense of humor, and is detail oriented. I often play music (from Ella Fitzgerald to The Kinks to Caravan Palace to The Fratellis) or audiobooks while I work, so a compatibility in preferred background noise is also important.
If you are interested in working with me at Pop Antique, please provide me with a description of your relevant experience/background and why you would like to work for Pop Antique.